Monday, December 6, 2010

Pop-sci books

Good science writing is highly addictive.  Perhaps I should rephrase that.  Good writing that takes a critical and well reasoned perspective on interesting and relevant subjects is addictive.  Lately I have greatly enjoyed reading works by La Mettrie (old, but foundational), Dawkins, Hitchens, Hirsi Ali, Zahavi, and Maynard Smith.  Earlier I had read Feyerabend, Maslow, Trivers, and Gould.  I'd have to add more titles if going beyond the last several years.  And it won't stop there!  Treatment for bibliophiles involves finding a support group and indulging in good books.  Thankfully there is a large supply.  By chance, I picked up a copy of Dawkins latest book, The Greatest Show on Earth, and plan to read through it when time allows.  And it has lots of pretty pictures too!  For my next books, I know where to look.  PZ Myers put together a helpful Pop-sci book meme and suggestions for "What science books ought a bookstore stock?"  Certainly more good titles have come out since then, but this is a good place to start your reading list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment